The North East Economy
We evaluate the economic position of the North East, analyse its strengths, identify its opportunities and skills requirements in order provide ongoing support to the implementation of the Economic Plan.
By understanding and highlighting the strengths of the North East economy, we champion the region and pro-actively attract the investment of funds and people into the area. This allows us to achieve and maintain our position at the forefront of emerging thinking, secure future opportunities and inform our ability to deliver them.
This holistic approach is aimed at creating more and better jobs, as we work to strengthen the region’s infrastructure and supply what the economy needs to succeed.
A great place to create jobs
Through our understanding of the North East economy, we are able to express and promote the North East as great place to deliver more and better jobs.
We know that the North East is:
A great place to be an employer
- The North East has the lowest median wages in the country
- It has the highest rate of labour productivity growth in the country
- It has one of the highest rates of employment growth in the country
A great place to be an employee
- The North East has one of the highest real wages in the country (taking into account cost of living)
- It has the best distribution of earnings in the country
- It has one of the highest rates of wage increases in the country
You can find out more about the North East economic story here.