Works along the corridor from Cowgate interchange to Haddricks Mill roundabouts to reduce levels of congestion and address issues for non-motorised modes.
The Northern Access Corridor Phases 2 and 3 project is a corridor of works from Cowhill interchange to Haddricks Mill roundabouts, including Blue House roundabout.
There are six deliverables of the project:
1. Cowhill interchange: A167/A189 grade separated junction
2. Duke’s Moor junction: Kenton Road/Grandstand Road junction
3. Blue House roundabout: A189/B1318 junction
4. The junctions of Ilford Road, Osborne Road (B1600) and Moorfield with Jesmond Dene Road (A189)
5. The Haddricks Mill roundabouts (A191/A189 junctions)
6. Killingworth Road.
Blue House roundabout on the Great North Road, the junctions off Jesmond Dene Road with Osborne Road, and Ilford Road, and the Haddricks Mill double roundabouts in South Gosforth will benefit from a package of improvements to improve safety, smooth traffic flow and reduce congestion.
The junctions form part of a key corridor that runs across the city from Cowgate to the north of the city in Gosforth. The junctions suffer from high levels of congestion and delays and are well-known collision hotspots.
With works now complete at Cowgate, the council plans to connect the junctions at Blue House and Haddricks Mill to improve efficiency and safety along the route. The improvements will mean road-users benefit from improved journey times, safer junctions and reduced congestion.